Home BFRO

Night vision
Post new topic   Post reply    BFRO -> Technical -> Field Equipment... -> Night vision
rootball66
Unregistered

Posted: February 26th, 2007 01:32 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

just received some 1st Gen nv i got off of Ebay.Bushnell model#26-0100 if you are looking for some low budget NV this is the way to go, cost me only 167.50 and that included shipping.This stuff is well worth the money in my book,no it's not 3rd gen but then you would be looking at spending close to 3.000.00 and up.You can see out about 100ft good.A good friend of mine,got the same thing but with a sound mic built in for under 250.00 delivered (Bushnell#26-0300 ).

So if you are like me and are a low budget bigfooter this is the way to go if you are looking into NV with outbusting the bank!

BCsquatch

Posted: February 26th, 2007 03:50 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

I bought the bushnell 5x42 stealth view and it has a video output for recording purposes. It is a Gen 2+ and it has an IR booster.

Blaine
Blaine McMillan
BFRO Investigator
Western Canada
From an Island in the Pacific

rootball66
Unregistered

Posted: February 26th, 2007 05:42 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

Quote:
BCsquatch wrote:
I bought the bushnell 5x42 stealth view and it has a video output for recording purposes. It is a Gen 2+ and it has an IR booster.

Blaine

That will be my next big buy,but will be a next year before i can do it !

Ace!
Unregistered

Posted: February 26th, 2007 07:30 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

I might have been looking at that same one!
I've found the tracks, but not the animal that makes them.

-resident skeptic

monkeychaser
Administrator

Posted: February 27th, 2007 11:10 AM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

Unless you can afford the gen3 stuff, the digital nightvision is the way to go. I have a Weaver/Meade monocular, and it works great. Bushnell also makes one with a little LCD screen on the back like a digital camera; which lights up your whole face in the dark!
Bill Brewer, NorCal division

mohara
Approved

Posted: March 2nd, 2007 06:48 AM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

I got a Russian Yukon Ranger digital unit. works pretty well and has the direct video output which I like. but this unit is definitely made for distance viewing. it has two IRs, one which is on all the time, and then a long range. even the constant one is too bright for looking at anything close, it just whites out. and the long range is like a spotlight! definitely not for use indoors. for distance though it is pretty cool and really lights things up. both IRs are beyond the visible range too. some cheaper units have the red glow working.

I havent tried to record yet. Blaine, do you have a recording setup?

BCsquatch

Posted: March 2nd, 2007 10:45 AM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

No not yet.
I am looking to order an aiptek mpvr for my recording device.
Blaine McMillan
BFRO Investigator
Western Canada

mohara
Approved

Posted: March 2nd, 2007 02:08 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

That looks like a nice device. maybe I will look into one. in the specs it says it will record from any device with an RCA output. does that mean it will record from one of the NV devices? i better check my output and see what it takes. it looks like they also need a memory card added. how much record time would one get on a 2GB card?

bouncer1
Approved

Posted: March 4th, 2007 01:45 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

I am looking at buying a setup, I was thinking gen 3 but now they have gen 4...anyone had a chance to use those?
Jacob Bronowski:
No science is immune to the infection of politics and the corruption of power.

BCsquatch

Posted: March 5th, 2007 11:07 AM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

THe specs for the aiptek are on the website. Just Google aiptek.
If you are in the States you are fortunate for consumer goods as your population base is much greater than in Canada. THese aiptek devices are available at Target, Walgreens and other popular Big Box stores.
I will have to get mine shipped in.

Blaine
Blaine McMillan
BFRO Investigator
Western Canada

mohara
Approved

Posted: March 5th, 2007 04:26 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

after reading a bunch of reviews online, my one concern is that all of them stress that it the Aipteks dont do well in low light. since one of the reasons I want it is to record off my NV device, this is troubling. however, I wonder if it is a function of the recording or the lens. the NV device will be providing the video, I just need it to record the image. and the reviews say it works fine outdoors in the day.

If you try it out, Blaine, let me know what you think.

BCsquatch

Posted: March 5th, 2007 04:55 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

I talked to Mike Greene and he says that it will work just fine to record off of an external unit.

Blaine
Blaine McMillan
BFRO Investigator
Western Canada

monkeychaser
Administrator

Posted: March 6th, 2007 12:33 AM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

I have an Aiptek video camera, and it SUCKS. It's great in the daylight if you don't want to carry anything bigger than a pack of cigarettes, and you don't mind manual focus, but forget using it at night. Sony camcorders have the best night vision, and most have a "video out" feature if you don't want to record on the camcorder itself for some reason. Another methed would be to use a low light security camera and a digital recorder such as an Archos. You're always better off to consolidate, because carrying a lot of gear that you have to connect later is always a pain. Get a Sony camcorder for IR recording, and get a pair of gen2-3 binoculars for nightvision viewing.

phillyscott
Approved

Posted: March 6th, 2007 03:17 AM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

monkeychaser....have a question, since it sounds like you know this equipment well....

I just ordered 2 ATN nightstorm gen 4 (because will be in swamp, and its waterproof)....my question is, I have a sony camcorder that records straight to dvd (load dvd in). Is that good enough, or would a different camcorder be better?

will be in pretty wet, swampy place i very hot/humid comditions in July....if that matters also?

BCsquatch

Posted: March 6th, 2007 11:15 AM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

I am planning on using the aiptek mpvr to record from my night vision unit. Any of the Archos units in Canada require the docking station to record with. Now if you could find me a rca lyra x2400 I would be interested. !!
Blaine McMillan
BFRO Investigator
Western Canada

monkeychaser
Administrator

Posted: March 6th, 2007 12:12 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

I read a lot of consumer reviews before purchasing a camcorder, and the #1 cause of failure was humidity. There is an ERROR # that pops up on the Sony camcorders that a lot of people reported, and it had to do with humidity. The solution was to open the tape door and let it sit in a dry place for a week or so. There are aftermarket cases made for taking your camcorder scuba diving, so that would be the best solution. Pelican Cases also make a new MP3 player case that is waterproof and has waterproof plug connections, it's model #1010i. I think if you're using a device to record what your night vision is seeing, you would be better off with something that has no moving parts, like a flashdrive recorder (Aiptek, etc.) or a hard drive recorder (Archos, Lyra, etc.). The quality of the image is all up to you, as most of these have options. The best choice for clarity is film, but that won't work with your setup. For digital, whatever uses up your drive space fastest is the best quality. I'm not up to date on the most recent handheld video recorders, as new ones show up every month.

I often find interesting equipment by searching Ebay with the phrase "portable recorder".

phillyscott
Approved

Posted: March 6th, 2007 06:38 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

thanks to all.....will be looking.....and testing

just kind iof hard to test south AR/north LA cnditions in july, when it's 20 and about to snow in pa...

John_P
Approved

Posted: March 8th, 2007 10:37 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

I have been looking at NV viewers plus I used to make 'em at ITT. The lower the gen the more you'll need IR to help illuminate. Is there any definitive opinion on whether BF can see into the IR range? Any experienced users out there that have seen a BF through an NV device?

Thanks, John

mohara
Approved

Posted: March 9th, 2007 07:57 AM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

I picked up an Aiptek MPVR+ (the plus apparently refers to the fact that it has the 8MP interpolation of the Zoom model, but the sensor is still 3MP). I tested it out yesterday and it works great with my digital NV. It comes with a cable that has a single phono plug on one end to go into the MPVR, and a 3 headed hydra RCA on the other. I grabbed a $4 adapter at radio shack that converts the video head of the hydra into another phono plug, and that goes into my NV. It's pretty sweet, you can view the NV off the screen of the MPVR so that two people could investigate. also, i was expecting that i would have to keep the thing open to record, but it is set up nicely so that you can plug in the NV and close up the MPVR and stick it in your pocket and it keeps running.

I made a little clip last night with the NV that I was going to post, but it is big (119MB). I apparently had it on a high quality setting. if I can shrink it, or tape another with lower res, I'll post a link to a sample. the quality was quite good.

I grabbed a 2GB card for it, so it should record for a few hours if I lower the res. not suitable for a stationary cam, but definitely enough for the active fieldwork of a night. all told, it ran me about $225 for everything. I think these things should be standard field issue for bigfooters...

monkeychaser
Administrator

Posted: March 9th, 2007 01:13 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

Quote:
John_P wrote:
I have been looking at NV viewers plus I used to make 'em at ITT. The lower the gen the more you'll need IR to help illuminate. Is there any definitive opinion on whether BF can see into the IR range? Any experienced users out there that have seen a BF through an NV device?

Thanks, John

Despite lively debate concerning BF IR vision, no known primate or prosimian can see above 700-750nm at the very highest; so it would be unlikely that a higher primate such as a great ape would develop this ability exclusively. IR emitting devices "bleed" lower levels of light, down into human range (below 650nm), and can be seen with the naked eye in the dark, but they are dim.

BCsquatch

Posted: March 9th, 2007 03:04 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

Hey Mohara,
Sounds like you and I will have the same set up.
What is the NV unit that you have?

Blaine
Blaine McMillan
BFRO Investigator
Western Canada

rootball66
Unregistered

Posted: March 9th, 2007 03:14 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

Just a little note about the IR.we had one guy on wv exp that was using 1st gen nv with IR illuminater he had agreat many thing thrown his way (rock,sticks) no one else had much thrown thier way.Best we could come up with is the bf can see the red light and they picked that out as the biggest threat,I was using 3rd gen nv and had nothing thrown my way.Don't know for sure but the IR seemed to draw all the action!

monkeychaser
Administrator

Posted: March 10th, 2007 04:55 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

Mohara, that sounds like a good setup. I'll have to see if I can lash up my Aiptek with my Meade nightvision the same way.

mohara
Approved

Posted: March 10th, 2007 09:12 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

I have a Yukon Ranger digital unit. russki made. my girlfriend is russian so i feel an affinity...

Michael

Tyler H
Approved

Posted: March 11th, 2007 12:12 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

Quote:
BCsquatch wrote:

Blaine

Hey Blaine
How much was that, and could you get it here in Can?
Tyler Huggins
BFRO Investigator, Alberta

mohara
Approved

Posted: March 13th, 2007 09:22 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

Here is a little test clip I taped with the rig I described above. Yukon Ranger recorded with Aiptek MPVR.

http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~mohara1/NVtest.wmv

This one I recorded at QVGA level and in black and white in order to minimize memory use. I then clipped it and reduced the quality again to half the file size. still, it's not bad if you dont try to blow it up. the original is better quality to save good evidence.

BCsquatch

Posted: March 13th, 2007 10:32 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

Looks great Mohara
Can't wait Till I try my rig out
Blaine McMillan
BFRO Investigator
Western Canada

Bossburg
Administrator

Posted: March 13th, 2007 10:35 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

Great clip, mohara. How far were you from the building with the light in the window?

Bossburg
Bossburg

mohara
Approved

Posted: March 13th, 2007 10:52 PM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

I'd say maybe 80 yards from the deck with the railing around it. maybe 50 yards to the wooden fence at the end of the clip. this device works pretty well for that range, and the long range IR has a good reach. not so good for close up.

Michael

mohara
Approved

Posted: March 14th, 2007 08:34 AM  Edit Post Delete post Back to top

i wasnt making any attempt to hold still. i wanted to see what it would look like if i were out with it in the field. no coffee, but i did have an imperial stout beforehand...

Gen 3A++?? wow, they are getting specific!

Posted:   Edit Post Delete post Back to top

Post new topic   Post reply    BFRO -> Technical -> Field Equipment... -> Night vision All times are EST

Page: 1 2 3
Thread Options: Delete thread / Open/Close thread / Rename thread / Stick thread / Move thread / Merge thread
< Previous thread | Next thread > | Subscribe to thread |

Design based on Cobalt 2.0 theme by Jakob Persson
Copyright 2003-2005 Jakob Persson